THE EDEN ALTERNATIVE BLOG — A doctor noted for his role as a key architect of President Obama’s healthcare reform reminded us just how narrow the lens of the medical model is when it comes to aging.
Romney has said outright that as president he would repeal Obamacare, and so would Congressman Paul Ryan’s budget. Here are some of the things that would happen immediately to you and me and other elders if the Affordable Care Act ended:
• All free preventive screenings and tests would end
• The free annual wellness examination would end
• The prescription drug doughnut hole would immediately return to its full original size, increasing drug costs to millions of elders
• Elders with Advantage plans would again be charged more than those with traditional Medicare for some medical procedures
• States would again be able to cut elders from Medicaid