ChangingAging’s good partner the Picker Institute (sponsor of RealCareNowTV) and Planetree recently published a long-term care (LTC) improvement guide.
Planetree and the Picker Institute are two of the leading nonprofit organizations working to advance patient-centered reforms across the healthcare continuum. Drawing on the expertise of dozens of advocates and thought-leaders, the 296-page guide provides a complete blueprint and assessment tools for improving patient and resident-centered care.
The guide contains three parts:
- Part One – Making the Case for Change
- Part Two – Building a Community – A Process for Transformation
- Part Three – Practical Approaches for Building A Resident Centered Culture
Changing Aging’s Dr. Bill Thomas writes the commentary.
The Picker Institute builds on eight Principles of Patient-Centered Care:
- Respect for patients’ values, preferences and expressed needs
- Coordination and integration of care
- Information communication and education
- Physical comfort
- Emotional support and alleviation of fear and anxiety
- Involvement of family and friends
- Continuity and transition
- Access to Care
The guide contains professional resources and links to even more resources.Download it.